Just a matter of hours until Carmelo Anthony informs the Knicks of his return on a five-year deal, as @FisolaNYDN reported this week.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 12, 2014
[Editor’s note: Here’s Robert Silverman with a bit more info]
Here’s this afternoon’s #WojBomb™:
Carmelo Anthony will sign a five-year, $120 million-plus contract to return to the New York Knicks, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Anthony considered the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets before deciding to re-sign. He notified the other teams on Saturday that he’s returning to New York.
Anthony might still take less than the maximum $129 million the Knicks can give him, a source said.
Anthony is expected to publicly announce his return on Sunday.
Taking a tad less–even if it’s just a 9 million dollar haircut–would certainly be nice. As J-Doobs ‘splains:
FWIW, a 7.5% dip in year 2 of the deal would mean Melo takes 5-years, ~$116 million. Berman floated that last week.
— Jared Dubin (@JADubin5) July 12, 2014
We’ll have to wait until tomorrow (later today? Who knows…) to see if that is in fact the case. There have been so many half-sourced sources and weird breadcrumbs that have been reported as “news” in the Mouth of Madness that is NBA Free Agency in the Year of our Lord 2014, that it’s probably wise to wait until all the parties involved are standing in front of a plastic MSG backdrop, making nice for the cameras, and smiling and slinging easily-digestible quotes before anything is determined to be a done deal.
That said, Woj is directly plugged into the hivemind/shadowy cabal of agents, front office types, insiders and whatnot that Know Things, so (aside from the actual numbers on the contract) it’s safe to say it’s done.
What this means for the team…well…we’ll have more coherent analysis in the very near future from your Friendly Neighborhood Knickerbloggers.