Random Summer League Thoughts:
* 6 Europeans! Well not really. Most are American born that are playing overseas. The exceptions are 30 year old center Bougaieff who is French Canadian and guard Ali Berdiel from the Puerto Rican National team. Even the most mundane player has an impressive youtube mix, but is this the best they can come up with for Bougaieff? Meanwhile Berdiel seems to have lost his starting job at Valpariso to Jarryd Loyd 2 games before the season ended. Berdiel’s biggest weakness is his propensity to turn the ball over.
* Olu Famutimi is the only NBDL guy. He’s a shooting guard with no three point range. According to a few reports, Famutimi is a physcially gifted athlete, and the numbers seem to bear it out. He rebounds well, can pick a few pockets, and averages about a 1 block every 40 minutes. It’ll be interesting to see what he’s like on the court.
* Does anyone think Nate Robinson has something to do with the inclusion of former Husky teammate Tre Simmons?
* If the starting 5 is based on who is under contract/draft position then it should be Collins, Nate, Balkman, Chandler, and Morris with Nichols as the 6th man. However the roster is thin on big men. There are 7 guards on the team, and that doesn’t include Nichols and Greene who are listed as G-F. Which means that the lineup might be Collins, Nate, Nichols, Balkman, and Morris with Chandler coming off the bench. It’s not a bad idea, since the Knicks are more likely to need Nichols this year than Chandler given their need for outside shooting and their depth at the forward spot.
* The Knicks have 6 guys on their summer roster that will make their NBA team next year. Although they had 5 last year, Frye exited early with an injury. Additionally Collins, Nate, and Balkman all have had substantial NBA time under their collective belts. So we should expect to see some wins this summer.
* Things I’ll be looking for:
1. Chandler – how does he fit in? When he & Balkman are on the court at the same time, who will take the bigger player? (Both players are listed as 6-8.) How is his jumper?
2. Nichols – Is he athletic enough to play at the next level? Can he score on his own? Is he a liability on defense?
3. Morris – Has he bulked up? Is he a turnover machine? Can he still block shots and rebound at this level? What methods does he use to score?
4. Collins – Can he shoot? From 3?
5. Balkman – Can he shoot? Any post up moves?
6. Robinson – Can he act his age?
|32||Renaldo Balkman||F||6’8||208||Jul. 14, 1984||South Carolina||New York (NBA)||1|
|38||Ali Berdiel||G||6’6||200||Dec. 27, 1983||Valparaiso||Hainaut (Belgium)||R|
|45||Alex Bougaieff||C||6’11||235||Apr. 15, 1977||Rice||SPO Rouen (France)||R|
|25||Mardy Collins||G||6’6||220||Aug. 4, 1984||Temple||New York (NBA)||1|
|21||Wilson Chandler||F||6’8||230||10-May-87||DePaul||DePaul (NCAA)||R|
|9||Brian Greene||G/F||6’7||225||Aug. 30, 1981||Colorado State||Villeurbanne (France)||R|
|30||Olu Famutimi||G||6’4||207||Feb. 21, 1984||Arkansas||Arkansas (NBADL)||R|
|5||Randolph Morris||C/F||6’11||260||Jan. 2, 1986||Kentucky||New York (NBA)||1|
|35||Demetris Nichols||G/F||6’8||216||Sep. 4, 1984||Syracuse||DePaul (NCAA)||R|
|44||Dylan Page||F||6’9||240||Mar. 28, 1982||Wisconsin-Milwaukee||Drac Inca (Spain)||R|
|4||Nate Robinson||G||5’9||180||31-May-84||Washington||New York (NBA)||2|
|17||Tre Simmons||G||6’5||200||Jul. 24, 1982||Washington||Gran Canaria (ULEB)||R|
|6||Kelvin Torbert||G||6’4||210||5-May-83||Michigan State||Euphony (Belgium)||R|
|8||Roderick Wilmont||G||6’4||203||Jul. 28, 1983||Indiana||Indiana (NCAA)||R|