Hoo boy, such a shitfest. I’ll say it clear right at the beginning: no recap this time. It doesn’t make any sense to recap this flaming turd of a game, where nobody played well and, ahem, we got a case of crowd-pleasing schizofrenia from our coaching staff.
About that: in the third quarter, somebody in the crowd started a “we want Kanter!” chant for no apparent reason. It’s the third game in a row that happens, and unless there is a really dedicated Turkish community that routinely sends a representative to every Knicks game until Enes gets bought out, I’m calling trolling on that one. Sadly, Fizdale (or whoever is in charge of those things) listened to that and absurdly budged from his position of “nope, not playing Kanter, even if it means starting Lance Thomas”. We then got treated to 9 nonsensical minutes of play from Enes (who by the way proceeded to airball his first shot while someone in the crowd kept on clapping for him) to no avail. It was like seeing a pity-date performed in basketball terms. “Yeah, you know, I ditched Sandra a month ago, but since then all of her friends keep calling me to give her another chance, soooo… Three days ago I went for a cup of coffee with her, but only because I had a Starbucks coupon. Haven’t called her since”. Truly embarrassing.
Anyway, since we’re deeeeep in a stretch of games where there’s nothing to recap, I decided (inspired by a comment from chrisk06811) to write a haiku for some of the most “notable” Knicks out there. Up to you to guess which one is who. I know nobody will give a damn, but I’ll post the solution at 11:30, ET.
“Candle light on hardwood
Sometimes the flame will scorch the earth
Awkward floaters abound”
“Misty eyes, mighty fears
The past teaches nothing
Defense nowhere around”
“Circle, jump, any dream
Limbs flailing through every ocean
No-one chants, who cares”
“Stepping stones, doors ajar
Basketball failures queued up
“Ghost town, heart of glass
shock then nothing ever is
Wait for the fourth”
“Calm wind, violent breeze
Draw a foul, you’re welcome here
Separate from people”
“Slippery brows sigh
Wizard, twenty sided dice
Saving private Ryan”
“Life, playground or not
Does a board make any sound?
Roll me pick me dead”
“Fate, a mask revealed
Oedipal itches. blushing
Keep bombing away”
On the basketball side of things, a few notes:
– Playing Vonleh center is a death knell for him on this team, apart from very specific situational small ball lineups where he can be effective. As a starting center he’s playing a lot less minutes and he’s playing a lot worse than he was doing before. When does Kornet come back?
– Impressive stat shown by MSG: Trier draws fouls on 11.1% of his drives (14th in the whole League. I don’t remember who’s 1st, my boy Gallo is 2nd). You know who’s tailing Trier? James Effing Harden at 10.8%. Punch me in the face for having suggested Trier was happy to have cashed in.
– Mitch Robinson in the last three games: 3 blocks per game, 1.3 (!) personal fouls per game, only 20mpg. What the hell?
– Bonus fact about Mitch Lob: as we all already noted, for the season Trier is his best assist-man with 17. Next one is Frank with 10. Then nobody (nobody) has more than 5 assists to Mitch, and the 5 assist man is Noah Vonleh. This has to be the most depressing stat about our PG committee.
– I seriously second-guess the choice to keep playing THJ. I don’t know if he’s hurt or not, but since it’s extra clear that we’re on a singleminded tanking mission, just sit him for a few games. Let him get his game straight or whatever (I hope he’ll get traded altogether, but I’ve learned to stay grounded).
– No, sorry. last bonus fact about Mitch: it appears he’s the first player ever to have blocked a Luka step-back three attempt. I politely remind you he also blocked two such shots by Harden. Told ya, if someone kept track of blocks on three point shots Mitch would already be in the top 20 of all-time.
Guys, I take a little break. I’ll be back for the Detroit game, maybe the last with Enes in a Knicks uniform?