Don’t have time for a full write up. Just some quick hits:
- It was almost another one of those games. Boston started off on a 7-0 run, but I have to give credit to the Knick starters. They held in there & took a first quarter lead. Lee & Robinson also saw time with the first unit (for Curry & Crawford). At that point, that’s just about what a statistician might make the lineup (Marbury, Robinson, Richardson, Lee, Randolph).
- I actually liked the second quarter team. Nate, Marbury, Jeffries, Lee, Rose. Robinson ran the point, and did a great job. He hit Rose and Jeffries for easy scores, and helped tear up the Celtics defense. On the other side of the court, the defense held up well. If Nate shows that he can run an offense & get other players involved (which he did well in the summer league & the preseason so far) this is a fantastic idea. Bring out your best defensive four, and let Robinson provide the scoring. You could also replace Jeffries or Marbury with Balkman, and Rose with Chandler (who leads the team in blocks this preseason). That would really be one athletic team with the ability to cleanup their misses.
- The Celtics had no answer for Robinson all night. He scored 20 points on 13 shots in only 27 minutes. Robinson also had 9 rebounds. But the most impressive stat: 4 assists 0 turnovers.
- There was certainly some animosity tonight. Curry seemed upset early (at Scalabrine?). He seems to be touchy about his shoulder this preseason. Professional sports are like the finale of the Karate Kidd – if you have an injury – be sure to know that’ll be the first place your opponent is going to hit you. Robinson got shoved in the face. Jamal Crawford almost got into a tussle. Keep a mental note of this when the two teams meet in the regular season.
- David Lee had a nice game. Curry was limited due to foul trouble (17 min), which opened the door for Lee. Early on he lost a rebound to Powe, but he ended up with 14 boards for the evening. One of them was an offensive rebound with :44 seconds left and the Knicks trying to cling to a 4 point lead. Richardson scored 3 points, but had 3 blocks. It’s one of the positives of playing good defense. You can be productive even if your shot isn’t going down. Randolph had 23 points on 15 shots, despite playing most of the game being guarded by Garnett. He also had 5 steals.